Thursday, July 8, 2010

I love the way you lie...


Just gonna stand there
And watch me burn
But that's alright
Because I like
The way it hurts
Just gonna stand there
And hear me cry
But that's alright
Because I love
The way you lie
I love the way you lie
Eminem feat. Rihanna

How many times have we allowed ourselves to be hurt by others? Do we secretly yearn for this treatment? Or do we love others so much that we would allow ourselves to be the victim of the suffering they inflict on us?

Or perhaps we don't even view the maltreatment that we receive at the hands of others as wrong? Perhaps we excuse the behaviour of others or love the attention that we get from them so much that we let it go. Is it okay to allow your soul/body to be abused because of "love"?

This song reminds me of abusive relationships where one partner is continually the victim of abuse on account of another, but excuses their partner's ill-treatment. I've always wondered how a woman could allow themselves to be abused. I think the reason lies (with some of them) on the lie they believe that they are not worthy of being loved by anyone else. Or they think that that man is the best they will ever have.

I wish I could let them know that a man does not determine their worth. Nor can anybody else tell you how much you're worth. As human beings we are independent of each other when it comes to how precious and valuable we are. And we should never compare/stack ourselves up with others as a way to determine our worth.

Although I've never been the victim in an abusive relationship, I have allowed myself to be treated anyhow by another and excused their behaviour time and time again on account of their childhood and life circumstances.

We should love ourselves and our bodies wholeheartedly and protect them as we would our children or a friend. We should not allow ourselves to be maltreated...it's not okay just because we can choose for ourselves.

And we must FIGHT..this desire for attention, love, attachment that keeps us in the same sick cycle of being abused.

No comments: