Monday, May 18, 2009

"Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in the mirror and after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like." James 1:21




I've been pondering this analogy. I realize that it was used in the book of James because God's word is truly a reflection of ourselves...of who we truly ought to be. But time and time again we forget. We put on the make-up, the wiles that the world gives us and we get lost in this fabrication of who we really are.

And I realize that every single horrible thing about myself: my pride, my jealousy, my evil desire...that is NOT who I am. But I've been so wrapped up and enveloped in this girl, this second self, this un-self, that I have forgotten, lost the true sense of myself from the moment I gasped for air and was given life.

All it is now is trying to become who I really am. Funny enough, it's really hard and of course I need God to do it. Which makes me realize that who I am is only found in God. I am nothing apart from His identity.

God's word is who I am.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love this! it is so true..so easy to forget we were created in the image of GOD and God alone. we let everything of the world cover up and try to be what the world wants us to be =(

i love the words "second self" and "un-self". it's so true, it reminds me of the word undead. these things are not of God and were never meant to be like this. but kudos for trying to be the person you were meant to be, it is so hard, i am trying too...but let's help each other in this journey =)

it helps that our identity is found in Christ, nothing - not race, status, illness or culture, but that alone, defines who we are =) thx for writing this!!

~s.

Varaidzo1 said...

thanx for your comment! Yes, i love that..about our identity being found in Christ rather than all of those things that divide us. It's just so easy to position ourselves against each other, to find difference rather than similarity.

I love that verse from the Bible that says that whatever we do to our brother we do it to God. It really helps one to stay in check and to be aware of their actions. Otherwise..as long as we're helping each other to be the best we can be, and realizing that we are found in each other it makes this process easier. =)